eXXpedition Fights Plastic Pollution
We are very excited to welcome the eXXpedition team to St. Katharine Docks on Leg 3 of their Round Britain 2017 trip.
The all-women team are sailing around the British Isles, sampling the waters for plastics and toxics as they go. They are collecting data, footage and findings to add to the worldwide data set of plastics and toxics in the ocean. On their travels, they will engage with local people, holiday-makers, media and politicians, giving information about the implications of ocean pollution, from making everyday choices to action at the political level for a cleaner, healthier environment.
On 31st August and 1st September, you will have the opportunity to meet the team (and many of their supporters) here on Marble Quay. See below for the full programme.
Thursday 31st August
10am – 4pm: eXXpedition and partners stalls will be open on Marble Quay, including:
- eXXpedition - information on their work and goodies you can buy to help fund-raise their activities and make art out beach litter with Candy Medusa.
- Kids Against Plastic – meet the inspirational Amy (14) and Ella Meek (12) who are campaigning nationally against single-use plastic. Take part in a bio-plastic workshop making some casein (milk protein) plastic to mould into beads or ornaments to take away and decorate at home or make a reusable bag-for-life from a t-shirt (supplied).
- Thames Estuary Partnership – take part in art activities such as painting, drawing, colouring in or make a badge then pledge to go #OneLess to join the refill revolution and stop using single-use plastic water bottles!
- Port of London Authority – come along and find out what you can do for a Cleaner Thames and their For Fishes Sake campaign.
- Thames21 – come find out about the Thames River Watch Project and how you can get involved in cleaning up the Thames beaches.
10:15am-1:30pm: Sign up for a tour of Pangea Exploration S/V Sea Dragon, the vessel that eXXpedition will have navigated around nearly the whole UK – sign up for a tour and meet the team! Sea Dragon will be docked at St Katherine’s Pier, sign-up sheets will be available at the eXXpedition stall – first come first served.
Friday 1st September
10am – 9pm: eXXpedition and partners stalls will be open inside The Dickens Inn, in the Function Suite. There will be signs and people to guide you.
10:15am-1:30pm: S/V Sea Dragon boat tours. Sign-up sheets will be available at the eXXpedition stall – first come first served.
4pm – 9pm: Film Screening in The Function Suite, The Dickens Inn
Come along and see a range of documentaries tackling the issue of plastic pollution in the ocean. There will be a cash bar where you can food and drink throughout the evening.
- 4pm (45mins + Q&A) - Flows by Klaus Thymann: Flows leads you on a journey never before taken, exploring the aquifer on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Flows will show you unique footage from the air and underwater, taking you more than a kilometre into a submerged cave system to see the incredible mirror mirage where salt and fresh water meet, discovering a prehistoric skull more than 10,000 years old and much more.
- 4pm, 45mins + Q&A with Klaus himself.
- 6pm (40 mins + Q&A) - eXXpedition: Making the Unseen Seen: eXXpedition is a 40-minute film documenting the journey of 14 women who sailed across the Atlantic Ocean on a scientific research mission to make the unseen seen – from the plastics in our oceans to the toxics in our bodies.
- 8pm (45mins) - A Plastic Whale by Sky Ocean Rescue Campaign: A stranded whale that died with a stomach full of plastic has a message for us: we need to act. Our household rubbish is polluting every single part of our oceans, at every possible depth. And it is killing our marine life. WARNING: there are some scenes of blood from the whale in the ocean which some may find distressing.